Friday, October 1, 2010

it is customary to call one's pilgrimage

I remember how 
in their sleep
all my dreams 
would come to life,
would stand almost on tiptoe,
to reach their glory, 
and
whispering from that place
to the half-artist me quietly climbing
affirm that I was capable of higher things.

a small clearing in an otherwise clouded window.


ekh, assembled from text fragments 9/13/2010


___________________________________________________________________________________

I thought it most appropriate to christen this space with a little "call" to order.  One of my favorite travel writers, Phil Cousineau, describes his practice, to "call" his journey closer [to him] by finding myths, stories, poetry, and sacred writing for the land he is about to visit.  In my case I am cataloging an abstract journey to a land of fulfilled living, one that supports my creative dreams.  Assembling poetry tends to be a psyche study, as I construct a meaningful form from a literal pile of tiny words.  The words develop into a phrase as my paintings do, without preplanning or expectation, and unsurprisingly they are a reflection of my state of mind or emotion at the moment of their creation.

Art is alchemy.   Art calls my pilgrimage.


*To find out more about my working style check out this interview with one of my favorite artists and dear friend, Amy Komar.  Her blog space is filled with colorful everyday photos to inspire the artist in all of us!




No comments:

Post a Comment