Tuesday, August 2, 2011

calling all spirit animals

...'the owl story', as it has since been coined, has led to the creation of a whole new series of animals that hold meaning- spirit animals, if you will...totems.

"owl" from totem series
I couldn't not ( yay, double negative!) honor the owl as a creature after my experience...as I mentioned, I made that totem back in December of an owl and a wolf and an elephant at my mother's house, not knowing that they would come to me in dreams over the course of the next few months.
Wolf:

"wolf" from totem series
["I was walking with a close friend through a natural history museum where habitats and climates were recreated, and living animals dwelled inside.  Particularly I was walking through the forested tundra in the spring after the snow, with tall tall trees...all fabricated by the museum as a habitat for animals to live in...I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the rare and endangered black seal/wolf, which lived in this area.  Traipsing toward the animal's dwelling quietly, anticipating the fortune of seeing this creature.  To my surprise, the creature came right up to us, hastily like an excited dog, and stopped just in front of me, calmly, looking. It had shaggy ears like a dog and thick long black fur, but it had flippers for its front two feet.  I moved in closer, feeling so grateful and fortunate to see this rare and special species.  I kept moving closer, closer, softly, sweetly, and reached out my hand to touch it gently on the head.  It allowed me to do so.  My friend was unimpressed by the wolf-seal, at least to the degree that I was, and seemed more to be along 'just for the ride'.  It seemed to me that the wolf-seal and I had a special connection, that it wanted to tell me or show me something by approaching me, rather than making me seek it out..."]

Elephant:

"elephant" from totem series
The elephant has long since been significant to me.   I've always been intrigued and enamored by their sensitivity, recognition, and memory.  The archetypal importance and mythological powers that elephants hold are kind of universally known.  I recounted the story of Ganesh, not long ago.  Yet, Ganesh found me in a dream, where I slipped on a pair of firefighter's pants and the head of an elephant to go traipsing around town with two teenagers who were also in costume.  We dressed ourselves and headed out, rounded the corner next to the open lot with the chain link fence.  It was almost like we were on parade...

"buck" from totem series

People have started sharing their animal stories with me.*  In turn I have started adding their totem animals to my series, like 'buck' (above).  They will be on exhibit at the People's Art of Portland in late September with a bunch of other artists who recycle.   All of the totem animals are collaged from recycled materials, with mixed media. Go green art! 


* Send me your spirit animal and/or totem animal stories and I will create a totem animal to add to the series from your tale! I'll post them as I create them....next up: cardinal, seal....?

No comments:

Post a Comment