Monday, November 29, 2010

inspired

The denouement to my Thanksgiving this year was a little dose of inspiration from young Joey Lawrence: at just eighteen his magnificent photos and heartwarming travels to Ethiopia where he befriends and photos the people of warring native tribes tore at my soul and generated sorrow-sweet saudade.  I remembered a younger version of myself who at one time just would "get up and do", was hell-bent and determined to combine art and anthropological [i.e. "people"] experience in sub-Saharan Africa, to make it a way of life:

constructing, mozambique 2006
blowing bubbles, mozambique 2006
dedication of houses, mozambique 2006
It's true that time has the ability  to fly by and before you know it, you realize you are somewhere else completely...for better or for worse.  I still can't help but wonder what happened to that woman?  When I see the ambition and creativity and spirit and soulfulness of individuals like Joey, still hell-bent on the going-out-and-doing I want to resurrect that criatura, that woman who is within me, and have her drive this vehicle again.  It is still in my essence to get out, get going and do something big.  For a moment I remembered this.

See the trailer below for a glimpse into sweet young Joey L's return journey to visit the tribes a year later as seen through the film "Faces of a Vanishing World", my thanksgiving reminder.  It will reassure you that marvelous, simple spiritual good does exist in this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment