Thursday, January 20, 2011

100 Ideas

Today has bee one of those days where things just don't evolve organically, and every turn I make, every word I say or action I engage in just comes up wrong.  Not that I'm a staunch believer or "right" and "wrong", but I guess I mean every step seems to be a misstep and the Universe keeps chucking minor upsets, tension, and stress in my path.  Try as I might to refocus and reclaim my day, sometimes it just ain't gonna happen.  Yes, today I slipped into old patterns most certainly, spiraling to the pit of pessimism and cynicism as I tend to do, wondering what the world will become [if left in the hands of the younger generation that surrounds me] and what my world will become [because I can't bear to do another day of this work].  So, I played around in my sketchbook and recalled the gimmicks of Keri Smith, always trying to creatively launch her readers from the bottom of their moody holes with tricks like her 100 Ideas list to get positivity and creativity a-brewin'.  Because any creative knows that we feel so much better if we just knock off the bad attitude and take to making something of it: draw a picture, sing in the shower, take a walk with a camera, record the beauty of the natural [and man-made] world, marvel at colors and shapes, fashion a letter, write a haiku...So that's exactly what I did.
 

Ironically, as I went to link Keri's fabulous blog to my own post, I noticed that she was feeling in need of a little escapism this week too.  When we can't drag ourselves out of the funk by external means, sometimes it is the best practice to “put [my] ear down next to [my] soul” as she says, and make something constructive of it...practice creativity, however small.

No comments:

Post a Comment